INFORMATION YOU NEED FOR CHILD MEDICAL CARE
It is critical that child care providers (even a relative or the teenager from down the street) have adequate information to care for a child. You don’t have to know every detail of the child’s history, but you do need to know about communication and medical details to keep a child safe. Following is a basic checklist of important information to get from all the parents of your children. Each child should have a file on them to keep their information protected and accessible at all times.
CHILD CARE PROVIDER CHECKLIST
- Phone numbers for both parents and/or protective guardian
- Doctor’s phone number
- Phone number for relative who is familiar with the needs, preferences of the child
- Emergency numbers: ambulance, fire, police
- Medication information (including times and amounts)
- Allergies (if applicable)
- Child’s routine (meals, bedtime)
- Food preferences
- Child’s primary language
- Rules and appropriate consequences
- Calming techniques
We have provided this checklist in a form that you can use over and over. Check back for updated versions. Click to download the Child Care Medical Checklist here.
At home, make sure your child care provider is aware that the checklist is near a phone. This is an especially good reminder for frequent providers who may be comfortable with your child and forget that there are important instructions in case of an emergency.